Wellsphere/ Yes We Care!

"I was searching online for the best health bloggers when I discovered your blog at http://www.thomas-slater.net/. I want to tell you I think your writing is great. My name is Dr. Geoff Rutledge, and I've taught and practiced Internal and Emergency Medicine for over 25 years at Harvard and Stanford medical schools. I'm also the Chief Medical Information Officer at Wellsphere (www.wellsphere.com), where we are building a network of the web’s leading health bloggers -- and I think you would be a great addition."

"Wellsphere is a fast growing, next-generation online platform that is revolutionizing the way people find and share health and healthy living information and services. Our platform connects millions of users each month with the valuable insights and knowledge from health leaders and knowledgeable writers like you."

A couple of weeks ago I got this email from Dr. Geoff Rutledge, from Wellsphere. I was very surprised I didn't think I was that good of a writer, maybe I'm being a little hard on myself, but I just didn't think it deserved to be called "great" in any sense. Anyway I thought, if I could help educate people with my knowledge, motivate people with my story, and inspire them with the passion the Lord has for us all, than I was all for it!

Than on the 16th of October I got an email from Dr. Geoff, telling me, "We are excited to recognize you in our new YES, WE CARE! Campaign that honors everyday heroes, like you, who put themselves on the front lines in the quest for a healthier, happier world by spending their time and putting their hearts and souls into helping others in need. We’re particularly excited to have this chance to honor you, for dedicating your time and writing to help people improve their health and well-being. We've nominated YOU as one of our Everyday Heroes!." They wanted these "heroes" to make a short video clip, telling why they have decided to do what they do.

I don't have a web cam, so I wanted to go to my friend Larry's house and record it but, I ran into some difficulties. *Laughs* The night before I was going to record this short video, I had a freak accident, it seemed my Peritoneal catheter had a hole in it! My bed and pants were soaked in the middle of the night! It was pretty scary I wasn't sure what to think, at first being half asleep and having sugar water dripping down my leg! So I turned off my machine, clamped my catheter, taped a Povidone-Iodine, prep pad and a gauze pad around where the hole was. I did this to try and sterilize my catheter the best I could. Than I put a plastic bag around it all to make sure no more dialysis solution leaked out. Later that morning I would be heading to Philadelphia, to my Davita Dialysis Center. I would be spending most of my day there.

Thank God! My nurse, Seaul, she fixed the problem! She added a new attachment which makes my catheter longer but it is actually better. It took some getting use to, but it is much better. I don't have to clamp the line any more because of the new locking mechanism which will allow my catheter to last longer. Than an antibiotic solution was added to my dialysis solution to make sure no infection got into my peritoneum over night. Thanks Seaul you're the best!

The next day, I went to church and when I got back home I got a call from my friend Larry saying he was busy with company, and didn't know when I would be able to come over to make the video. He never called back so, I missed my chance to get my video in but I did receive this cool reward, the glory goes to God as always!


Yes, we care!

Wellsphere.com



Here is the video from Wellsphere! It is very cool it's a 10 minute video with people from all over trying to help heal the world! Awesome video guys! My friend Lori Laws is in this video, she is shown around 4 minutes into the video! Enjoy!

5 comments:

DrGeoff said...

Thomas, Lovely post, very glad you liked the video -- but you are the real hero for your efforts to help others through your blog. Sorry we were not able to include a clip from your video in the final version. Cheers, Geoff Rutledge

Lori Laws said...

Thomas,

I am so sorry to hear about the accident w/your catheter:(
The good news is that You're an Everyday Hero:) Congrats to you!!
You have so much to share w/others...your life is an inspiration to us all!

Anonymous said...

hello, have a good day!!

ThomasCSlater said...

Thanks Geoff and Lori for your inspiring comments, they mean alot to me!

Hi Ellen! Hope you have a wonderful day as well!

Thanks friends, for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

Thomas, keep doing the Lord's work and remain a humble everyday hero to us all. Peace -G